This Healthy Salmon Recipe is the perfect easy dinner recipe for all you garlic lovers. Tender flaky salmon nestled in a dairy free lemon garlic cream sauce for the perfect bite – done in 30 minutes!
We love to serve this salmon recipe with garlic smashed potatoes, my easy everyday salad and my grilled asparagus with lemon zest.
Creamy Garlic Salmon
Y’all know I love a good salmon recipe! Add a cream sauce into the mix and … shut the front door.
Today’s Healthy Salmon Recipe is a play on my Creamy Garlic Chicken dish that I posted a couple months ago. It was such a hit that I changed up the protein and let me tell you, it’s amazing!
The star of this dish is for sure the garlic cream sauce! It’s super easy to make. You don’t have to roast the garlic in the oven ahead of time. We’re basically browning it in the pan, adding in some aromatics, deglazing and then adding in our coconut milk. But don’t worry, you can’t taste the coconut milk at all. I balance it out with fresh herbs and lemon juice. You’re going to love it!
Ingredients you’ll need for this Healthy Salmon Recipe
Trust me. There is nothing like this creamy garlic salmon recipe, it’s savory, luscious and healthy all at the same. Here’s what you’ll need to make it!
- Salmon – You’ll need four 4-6oz. salmon filets, I buy with skin on and then remove it right before serving. I find the skin makes a good buffer so you don’t overcook the salmon, and makes it easier to flip.
- Ghee – Most diets allow you to use ghee, which is essentially clarified butter. If however, you are very strict you can use coconut oil or avocado oil instead.
- Onion – I use yellow onion because I want a very mild onion taste and the color blends in nicely with the sauce.
- Garlic – You’ll need a whole head of garlic (sometimes I use more depending on how many cloves I get). Make sure they are peeled.
- Lemon – Fresh lemon juice is best and will brighten this dish up at the end of the cooking process.
- Chicken Broth – Just a little bit to deglaze the pan
- Coconut Milk – Can be found in the international aisle of your grocery store. Buy the full fat coconut milk can and make sure it is unsweetened.
- Thyme – This lemony herb pairs perfectly with the flavors in this dish and with the salmon.
Should I season salmon before cooking?
Yes. Take every opportunity you can to season. For salmon specifically, I like to pat the salmon dry first with a paper towel and then season. I find doing this helps the seasoning stick to the salmon better instead of falling off the fish.
Which side should I pan sear salmon on first?
I’m sure you’ve heard it both ways and honestly I’ve tried both ways. But, I’ve found that what works best is pan searing skin side down first. The skin will crisp up very nicely and makes it much easier to flip with minimal to no sticking to the pan. i.e. No salmon left behind.
How to make Salmon in Garlic Cream Sauce
This recipe comes together in 30 minutes or less and will fill your kitchen with the best smells your nose has ever sniffed. haha. For real though, there’s nothing better than garlic goodness permeating the air. Here’s how to make this drool worthy Salmon in a Garlic Cream Sauce.
Prep Salmon: Pat salmon filets dry with a paper towel. Season flesh side of salmon with salt and pepper.
Pan Sear Salmon: Heat a large skillet to medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of ghee and add salmon to skillet skin side down. Pan sear salmon for 4-5 minutes. Then gently flip salmon and sear on the flesh side for 2 minutes. Remove salmon from pan and let rest of a plate.
Roast Garlic: Reduce heat to medium, then immediately add remaining tablespoon of ghee and all of your whole garlic cloves. Saute cloves for 3-4 minutes, stirring around the pan occasionally to brown the outside. Once garlic is slightly browned, add yellow onion to pan. Saute for 1-2 minutes, until translucent.
Deglaze the Pan + Add Herbs: Next, add in chicken broth, lemon juice and fresh thyme. Stir and bring to a simmer, reduce by the mixture by half.
Make Garlic Cream Sauce: Slowly add in coconut milk and stir until combined. Season with salt to taste.
Everybody Back to the Party: Add salmon back to pan and simmer for an additional 2 minutes. Garnish with chopped parsley or basil and serve!
What to serve with Salmon in Garlic Cream Sauce?
For this recipe I love to go simple and classic. A veggie and a starch is perfect paired with this. We’ve ever served this over jasmine rice or noodles. Here are our favorites sides to serve with this salmon recipe: